Why Aren’t We Innovating – Video
I consulted with Kathryn Worthington, Director of Brand Communication and Experience Planning, to create a video and a Powerpoint presentation for her presentation at the Digiday 2013 Conference in Sedona, AZ.
Kathryn addressed the issue of how adaptation and sometimes the misapplication or co-opting of new technologies to brands is mistaken for innovation in the world of digital marketing. She illustrated this concept as the HOW being focused on more than the WHY.
- The HOW prematurely focuses on tools, systems and platforms and following iconic brands’ constructs as models for success. It is imitating what has worked, rather than analyzing why it worked.
- Starting with the WHY enables us to focus on the human truth of the brand relationship and create utility, service and value for the consumer.
She concluded with illustrating three modern innovative brands that have focused on the WHY and three key elements they have in common. She used UBER, AirBnB and Coursera as examples:
- Giving: Build brand relationships based on giving, not receiving. Put consumer needs first, create a system of unique branded service instead of complicated reward systems.
- Authentic Connections: Connect people based on their passions, create value through relevance, utility and authenticity.
- Transformational Value: Create unique, transformational value by empowering people. Disrupt the category.
She wanted the presentation to have an informal and dynamic “chalk talk” appearance and appear as “light-hearted” and a talking point for discussion. I created hand drawn conceptual boards that were transformed into live time-lapse shot video and incorporated into the power point presentation. This gave the presentation the feel of an informal “in-house” meeting between co-workers.
Initial Storyboard Sketches
Stills from Powerpoint Presentation – SEE LINKS BELOW FOR VIDEOS THAT WERE CREATED IN PRESENTATION.
Videos From Powerpoint Presentation
The Next Big Thing:
The How Grinder: